This course is being held to all Females (15 years of age plus), as part of the SheSails program, developing Women in Sailing.
Commencing on Saturday 5 February 2022, our club is running a Start Sailing 1 – Introduction to Sailing Course at Fingal Boat Harbour. The course consists of 2 x 6 hour sessions over 2 Saturdays – 05.02.22 (commencing at 9 am) and 19.02.22 (8 am start) – starting times work around the high tide and based on NSW day light savings time.
The cost is $150 for the 2 sessions, and non-refundable, should you not attend both sessions. This will include Tweed Valley Sailing club membership which is $100 (membership runs out on 30 September each year). Benefits of being a club member is you have insurance coverage when sailing with the club, and that once you are a confident sailor you can hire the club dinghies (which you will be learning in).
The course is limited to 10 participants only.
If you would like to learn the basics of sailing, and start your dinghy sailing journey, you will enjoy this course.
Intro to sailing: By the end of this course you will be confidant in:
- Preparing to go on the water: clothing to suit the conditions, use of safety equipment and the need for protection from environmental elements.
- Be able to rig a boat with assistance and identify the commonly used parts of the boat.
- Tie a figure of 8 knot and a bowline.
- Perform a capsize recovery in shallow water and participate in single boat towing.
- Be able to launch and recover a boat with assistance; correctly tack and stop the boat; successfully sail a windward/broad reach course; paddle boat around a marked course.
- Understand the meaning of port and starboard; windward and leeward; and overtaking vessels.
- Identify the wind direction; able to source weather forecasts.
There will be no official certificate issued, but the course is run within the guidelines of Discover Sailing syllabus.
There will be safety boats and drivers, and a group of experienced sailor volunteers to assist you. The dinghies we will use in this course are pacers and X3s.
. confidant swimmer (performing a capsizing is part of the course, but you will be wearing a lifejacket).
. agile and quite fit and strong (you will be constantly ducking under a boom and moving from one side of the dinghy to the other. Lifting is involved too.)
If you require further information, please don’t hesitate to email or phone me, details below.
To register: click on the link below:
Ph: 0409 761 908